Saturday, June 18, 2011

Melissa's UK Adventure - Day 11

Today was the last day of our tour. This morning at breakfast you could tell because everybody was just a little sad. It didn't help with the weather. When we woke up the sun was shining and it looked like it was going to be a nice day. But we spoke to soon, all day it would pour cats and dogs and then just as quick it would stop. My first thought was no problem because this was only the second day of rain out of 11. Then I remembered that we were going to be outside a lot and I thought great. And to make matters worse, I got a really bad cold 2 days ago. But I was not going to let anything get me down because we were going to Stonehenge today.


After breakfast, we were off to the city of Bath. It rained the whole way there, but as soon as we pulled into the city, it stopped. We had about 2 hours to explore, so I headed towards the Roman Baths. The line up was super long because it was a Saturday and alot of tour groups were there. It would have been too long for me to get in, but they did have one part of the smaller bath for you to see free of charge and with no line up. So I went to see that and then just explored the city. Just before we needed to be back at the bus, it started to pour hard again.

Next we were off to the city of Salisbury. Once again the whole way there it poured, but when we got to the drop off spot it stopped and the sun started to shine. The main attraction here is the huge Gothic cathedral, which inside has the Magna Carta. We started following all of the people, because once again it was really busy, and ended up in a small room. We did not know where we were but when we looked around, there was the Magna Carta in front of us. The thing is, you needed to pay admission to see it, but they thought we were with the other tour group so we got in for free. We had a bite to eat, and once again, it started to pour.

Next it was a short 15 minute drive to Stonehenge. It was raining, but as soon as it came into view, the rain stopped. It was almost as if someone up there knew that this was number 2 on my bucket list, and they stopped the rain just for me. As we drove up, there must have been over 1000 people waiting in line to buy tickets. With my tour, we didn't get to go in, but we got to stand about 50 meters away and take all the pictures we wanted. It was almost better this way, because you can not get that close to the rocks anymore, and we saw the same thing for free. I can not even think of the words to say to describe the feeling that I had seeing them in person. I have watched so many shows about them, but when you see them in person, it just took my breath away. I just stood there and stared, and even with all of the other people around, I felt like I was all alone. It was amazing and I feel very grateful that I got to see them. On the way back to the bus, I was looking for the gift shop and ran into our tour director. He said that the only way to get into the shop was to buy tickets, but he went over and talked to one of the security guards and they let us in. It was cool and we only had about 5 minutes to shop, so of course we grabbed what ever we could and headed back to the bus. And once again, it started to pour. What awesome timing we had today, I think the gods were on my side for once. Back on the bus, we found out that we were the only ones who got any merchandise.

Arriving back to London, we got to the hotel and said goodbye to everybody. Tomorrow Sharon and I are going on the full day London tour that got cancelled from before. It should be fun.

Street in Bath


Street in Bath


Sculptures on the side of the church in Bath


Roman Bath


Church at Salisbury


Grounds of the church in Salisbury


Stonehenge


No comments:

Post a Comment