Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Darrin's Hawaii - Day 6

Soooo, did nothing today.

The plan was to get up early and head to Pearl Harbour. But, majority rules (meaning: husband) and we slept in.

So, we woke up late, got ready, then moseyed over to Eggs’n’Things. It’s a pretty popular place, and sometimes you can apparently wait more than an hour for a table. We decided since we didn’t have any plans, that today would be the day we would finally wait for a table (we’d tried two other mornings but left when told the wait time).

We checked in downstairs, were told it was a 30-40 minute wait, and staked our claim on the sidewalk. After about 15 minutes we got a pager and then it was probably another 15-20 when we got called upstairs to the restaurant.

We both went for the Sweet Bread French Toast with bananas, covered in whipped cream and mac nuts. Yup, sweet enough to cause a coma. But delicious! Darrin also ordered a side of bacon ($5.75 for 4 strips!!! Even for Hawaii that’s extreme!!) and I got a side of potatoes which couldn’t have been more perfect. Topped it off with a Plantation Iced Tea, which is tea and pineapple juice.

After breakfast we grabbed drinks from the hotel bar and took a nice walk down the beach. We were out for about half an hour and it was hot, but not too crazy since it was only around 11am. Plus, the drinks helped!

After our walk we went back to the pool bar and grabbed a couple more to enjoy while sitting on the Diamond Head balcony (sun). I enjoyed the heat, but Darrin ended up moving to the Ocean Balcony which was in shade.

Then another trip down to the pool bar for a couple more and back out on the balconies. The menu at the bar only lists Strawberry and Mango Daiquiris but I asked if he could make a pineapple one and voila! Best drink in the land. Unfortunately I was so excited I took several big sips and got a cold headache that nearly knocked me off my feet. But it was worth it to have them create a new concoction that should already be on everybody's menu!

Finally, no rain. It spit a bit while we were in line for breakfast, but it was nothing. There’s supposed to be a 40% chance this afternoon, but right now the clouds are rolling in and out. For once I think we might not get soaked. (Of course, I say that every day.)

Oh, and now another trip for drinks. Darrin just came back with a six-pack. But there’s no bottle openers! Good thing I brought one. Verdict: Hapa Brown Ale is excellent, similar to Fort Garry Dark.

Besides lounging on the balcony and probably another walk on the beach, we have no plans for the rest of the day. We’ll see where the wind takes us I guess!

The only bad thing today is the mosquito bites seem to act up when I get in the sun. As soon as I get hot a couple of them really flare up. Actually, I’m quite tired of the mosquitoes. My first bite was literally when we got off the plane. Somewhere between the baggage carousel and getting in line for the shuttle one of them got me. I’m probably up to 20 now. And winter used to be my reprieve!...

Oh, and it just started raining. Just a sun shower though. Hardly anybody left the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment