Thursday, February 18, 2010

Live from Whistler


Hope all is well at home.
We are at Day 7 of the Olympic Games and I have been really enjoying my time here. I have heard bits and pieces of negative press, but really for most of us here (volunteers, workers, spectators) it has been pretty great. There are challenging moments, but the people here are very enthusiastic and excited and we are all enjoying our Olympic experience. The crowds have been great and our athletes are doing really well. We should be proud, no matter what the finish or the colour of the medal!
Things here is Whistler are really wonderful. After a few days of rain which made things very interesting for events and volunteers and spectators, we are now having sunny days and this has not only allowed the alpine sports to finally run, but it has also brought out a whole bunch of people which is awesome. There are many beautiful people here so it has been great to sit back, when there are moments to do that, and watch what is going on. There is a huge representation of Australian citizens here in Whistler. They work here, and live here....as one of them put it they are "living the dream". Every once in a while you will spot a group of athletes strolling about and they are kind and willing to take pictures and sign autographs. There are tonnes of boarders and skiiers out here and they take up a lot of space on the bus. And, ski equipment does smell as bad as hockey equipment. It's terrible!
Aside from the people watching and sightseeing and shopping, I have had the opportunity to take in a few of the free shows...don't ask me who the bands were as I don't know but they were good. I also saw the fire and ice show (boarders jumping through flaming rings) which was pretty good until the crowd starting lobbing snowballs as the band, only temporarily stopping the show. The place is definately busy with the hip and happening beautful people.
I have been busy the last few days with work at the Sliding Centre - Luge - crazy, just crazy. These women go at incredible speeds - and olympic dreams are had and lost on tenths of seconds. It is just crazy. I have been very fortunate to be in the company of these great athletes and I tell ya....these people are amazing. They have these perfect fit bodies and most of them are actually just very, very nice people!
It has all been a very "sick" experience. The word "sick" is one you hear often around here....along with gnarly....yes...they say gnarly out here. Sick actually means something good or awesome, so if I come home and start saying this is sick or that show was really sick....you will have to understand and help me to overcome this trend!
I am back at the Sliding centre again today and tomorrow, for the Skeleton event. That should also be crazy. I can't wait. The days have been a little long, we spend lots of time waiting for the athletes to do their thing whatever that might be, but it is just so incredible to be here. I will also get a chance to go to Biathlon....that will be cool.
I had a day off yesterday so I decided to do the Peak to Peak Gondola. It is a gondola ride that goes between the Whistler and Blackcomb mountain peaks. It is very high and apparently the world's longest, highest, continuous and unsupported (free) span of a lift of it's kind. For those who like stats....it is 4.4 km long. The highest point is 436 metres or 1427 feet and the length of unsupported span is 3 km or 1.88 miles. It was incredible. The day was sunny and clear so I got to see forever. The views were spectacular and apparently those in Pemberton can see this gondola. I am not certain how far away Pemberton is from Whistler so I can't tell you more than that.
I have been trying to walk around where ever I can. I need to get rid of my "winter coat" and get ready for a half marathon that I carelessly decided I should do in May...what was I thinking? The hills around here have provided a great workout for me and in all honesty, this along with the fresh mountain air has been really great. Whistler is the place that you want to be to hike, cycle, ski, snow board, or just sit back and relax!
That is pretty much it for now. I am hoping to get into Vancouver in the next few days as I would like to experience that culture before my time winds down here. It will depend on the schedule. So, until whenever, take care and cheer really loud for Canada. We have lots of athletes here that are doing their best and relying on our support!

No comments:

Post a Comment